Incredible Edible Todmorden
Cambridge Education is represented on the board of this pioneering community sustainability project which is a Community Interest Company. Incredible Edible Todmorden (IET) is a means of enabling the development of community food hubs by:
- building the capacity of the community to take on family and community allotments (some on school sites);
- providing the tools and plants;
- acquiring spare unused land from the local authority; setting up very successful restorative youth justice programmes;
- establishing a perma-culture centre; harnessing school grounds for fish farms;
- selling produce on local markets and involving businesses in developments.
The initiative has attracted high levels of national and international interest and Prince Charles has recently visited the project during his 'seeing is believing' tour. Cambridge Education is exploring the potential for a National Citizen’s Service pilot. The intention is to roll out the model across the country. The Big Society is alive in Todmorden!