Managing academy status: challenging personnel
What is it?
This course supports participants in developing skills needed to manage the challenges of the move to academy status. Using conflict management techniques, delegates will learn how to achieve difficult one-to-one conversations successfully, particularly where staff may be at risk of redundancy and to manage staff who are un-cooperative or resistant to change.
The course will focus on the effective use of informal procedures and ways in which new policies can make formal processes more effective.
This course is not a substitute for training in the TUPE process.
Who is it suitable for?
Suitable for principals designate, existing principals (sponsor governors) and LA representatives.
What do we offer?
This one day training course covers the following areas:
Change and conflict in the new academy context
- causes of conflict – common reactions to academy status
- first phases in change management
- structures, Redundancies and Transferred staff
- sharing delegates’ real issues.
Managing TUPE interviews
- your power to choose your responses – strategic and emotional
- dealing with anger and intimidation
- staying calm, reasonable and focused on the desired outcome
- offering the compromise agreement
- the prospect of a tribunal
- practical exercise.
Managing the transferred staff
- human responses to change
- unfreezing the status quo
- listening and questioning in order to fully understand other positions before developing solutions
- dropping labels and avoiding demonizing
- developing rapport and empathy
- motivating the de-motivated
- practical exercise.
Techniques for successful informal procedures
- separating what matters from what’s in the way
- replacing positional bargaining with ‘negotiating from interests’
- dealing with low profile subversion
- developing a problem solving approach – triad exercise
- contracting solutions.
New policies and formal procedures
- what was wrong with the old policies?
- what do we want our new policies to deliver?
- using competency or disciplinary procedures
- setting criteria.
Establishing a positive climate
- an on-going relationship with the unions
- learning-centred and distributed leadership
- workshop approaches
- the emotional bank account.
All training and advisory services are tailored to the needs of your school. Please call us on +44 (0)1223 463757 for pricing.